By Charlie D.
Communication
fuels healthy relationships, but let’s talk about something a little less
obvious. Actually, you and your partner
should talk about something a little less obvious; what you like in bed. Openly
discussing sex can improve a relationship in ways that regular communication
alone cannot. The fairly recent study, “The Specific Importance of
Communicating about Sex to Couples’ Sexual and Overall Relationship
Satisfaction”, did some interesting work on more than just everything their
title implies. Unfortunately, they only studied 101 couples, but what makes
this study unique is also what legitimizes its findings. This study compares its
wide range of data in different ways, granting it the scope of several earlier studies,
with which it is consistent. Said differently, aspects of this recent study’s
findings are consistent with the projections of earlier studies that do not
relate variables in such comprehensive ways.
A
main focus of the recent research was to determine if communication about sex
can improve both sexual, and basic, satisfaction in a way that ordinary
communication cannot. As it turns out, it can! Talking specifically about sex
can allow the partners to enhance sexual interactions, and this can create a
higher overall level of satisfaction with the relationship itself. Although
sexual communication can add to a relationship in a way that ordinary
conversations alone cannot, this should not be taken to mean that sexual
conversations can serve in place of ordinary communication. Conversation can be
essential to a healthy relationship, and this study is not intended to say that
sexual conversations can make up for the lack of other aspects to a
relationship. However, even a great relationship can be improved by beginning
to talk about sex.
It
is understandable to have reservations about opening up such a topic. Perhaps
part of what can make the discussion so rewarding is how rare sexual discussions
can be. Also, people are hesitant about opening the floor to such a topic
because of the risks involved. Sharing one’s sexual likes, dislikes, fantasies,
etc. can make someone feel vulnerable in a way that is unique from ordinary
conversation. So let’s get into some ways of working through this.
Although
this study focused on open verbal discussion about sex, nonverbal communication
can be a good place to start. One can often gain a good feel for a partner’s
likes by how heavily he or she is breathing, holding, and grabbing.
Unfortunately, it can be easy to mistake something for positive reinforcement.
Moreover, there are always questions such as, “what didn’t my partner like” and
“what would my partner like that I have not tried?” Nonverbal communication
about sex can be powerful, but easy to misinterpret.
After
getting a good idea of one or two things that a partner likes, keep it in
mind for once you spark the conversation. Beginning the discussion is the
tricky part. One of the less risky ways to start the conversation could be to
comment on something sexual that you like, but pick something that is not too
explicit. For example, it might be good to say, “You could probably tell, but I
loved it when you kissed my neck”, or “I loved how tight you held me.” There might
be some things that you prefer to do, but you are not sure if your partner is
enjoying them too. If the conversation progresses, then use it as a chance to
find out if you should keep doing those things. Try asking “Is there anything
that I should keep doing, or that you’d want me to try?” Your partner probably will
not comment on everything, so you have a few options. You can go ahead and take
the advice to the bedroom by replacing what you are unsure of with what your
partner wants to try. If you feel comfortable continuing the conversation, it
might be more mutually beneficial to follow up the last question by asking,
“how about when I…?” Remember that you do not have to cover everything the
first time that you bring it up.
Make sure to put some forethought into how you would
like the conversation to go. Hopefully, this can help you to both gradually
gain a level of comfort, sexual satisfaction, and nonsexual satisfaction. Would
you want to take this step in your relationship, and how would you go about
doing it?
“The Specific Importance of Communicating about Sex to Couples’ Sexual and Overall Relationship Satisfaction” can be found at: http://spr.sagepub.com/content/28/5/591.full.pdf+html
Based on my own personal experiences, communicating about sex definitely does improve relationships. Yes beginning the discussion may be tricky, but shaping the conversation in a way where it addresses the needs and desires of each partner is even more challenging. While it is easy to ask your partner what they enjoyed, it is harder do the opposite: verbalize to your partner what you didn't enjoy and what they could do differently--in a way that won't hurt your partner's feelings.
ReplyDeleteThoughts on the best way to go about this?
-Alex G.
I didn't bring that up for a reason! When it comes to talking about sex, I think that I would feel more comfortable than most people, but it is very difficult to give a way to sexually guide someone that can work for everyone. The safest way would be to use positive reinforcement on what you want repeated, and hope that your partner diminishes everything else. However, I'm more forward because that doesn't always work. If I wanted to guide my partner away from a behavior, I would definitely compliment other things so that she doesn't get discouraged and think that she is a bad sexual partner. I would try to make the criticism a minor part of the conversation. For example, I might even jokingly say, "It doesn't feel as good for me when you @#$#%%, but I love when you %$@#@$%. So, let's make it all about me and you can be happy that I'm happy. Seriously though, is there anything that you think I should work on?"
ReplyDelete-Charlie D.
I think the things presented in this article is really good but I couldn't help but wonder how communication plays out when "hooking-up". Communication about sex tends to build a better emotional bond between partners, but what if that's not what you want to happen in your relationship? Is communicating about sex still the thing to do?
ReplyDeleteJessica, I think you bring up a really good point. Some people go to great lengths to not get emotionally connected and to continue a strictly sexual relationship. I do think that if someone is communicating really well with their "hook-up buddy," there is a pretty high chance that the relationship could become as emotional as it is sexual. As Charlie's post explains, communicating about sex really improves relationships and intimacy, whether we want it to or not. It is kind of scary to think that, by doing something that we are "supposed to do" (communicating), we can become emotionally invested in a potentially romantic relationship that we never even planned on having.
ReplyDelete